June 26, 2011

The Sweetheart Cookie

Thor had a break though! First, he told me that he realized that pot lucks were not just a weird and inconvenient way to eat lunch and that he now understands that it is the sharing of ideas and bonding over food that make pot lucks so popular. AND THEN.... he asked me to bake some "like whole wheat vegan cookies or something".

WOW! Thor has never actually asked me to make food for a function of his before. He will tell me about a given event, let me know he is going to buy a "vegetable tray or something" from the store, and then I will insist that I will handle it, but never this!

Naturally, the week he asks me to do this is also a bit of a crazy week at work (I feel like I have been saying that often....) but I was not about to turn the opportunity down! I wanted something of course vegan and healthy, sophisticated but still irresistible to the inner child, and likable by health nuts and "normal people" alike. Well then, you have to have dark chocolate. Maybe with some cherries? Well chocolate and cherries practically beg to be baked with slivered almonds. And oatmeal... the ultimate health comfort food. All of this wrapped into a vegan and whole wheat cookie! Lets go!


To work with my busy schedule I actually had to sneak out of work when I had a break between clients one morning, drive home and prepare the dough, drive back to work and then finish baking in the evening! I felt like the crazy cookie lady but I got it done!


Ingredients:
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup all-purpose flour*
2 cups old fashioned oats
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup earth balance (or butter spread of choice)
1.5 cups organic brown sugar
1.5 cups dried cherries
2 tsp vanilla
2 servings of Egg replacer
1 cup dark or semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup slivered almonds

*I decided to go with a blend of whole wheat and white to make the change less dramatic for Thor's co-workers. If I were baking these for peeps accustomed to whole wheat, I would go with all whole wheat flour.

**You could easily half this recipe if just baking for a few...or one :) **

1. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk with a fork.
2. Melt earth balance and whisk in brown sugar. Add to flour and mix in well.
3. Add cherries, vanilla and egg replacer mixing in well. Fold in chocolate and almonds. If you need to run back to work to teach a yoga class or something, now is the time to wrap in saran wrap and place in the fridge.
4. Drop about a TBSP of dough onto greased (I use coconut oil) cookie sheets and bake at 350 for about 12 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always excited to hear your thoughts or have you share ideas!